2014年9月21日星期日

Why Analyze Social Media

Hello everyone, very glad to share my thoughts here!

After three courses taken, I get two essential points about Social Media Analytics and want to share my opinions with you.

Social circle exists in many websites, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Renren, Weibo, Qzone, Wechat, and even Baidu Post Bar which can also be identified as a kind of social network.


fig.1 major social media

Based on the complex relationship in these social circles, a website can form a social graph and use it as a reference to recommend new friends to a certain person so as to maintain or expand the volume of its users. This is the first aspect and the other one is as what I have mentioned in class, big data.

Analyzing deeply into the specific messages one posts or sends to another person, a website can use the technique of NLP to get learned about what a certain person or a circle of friends mostly concerned about. Using the data, ads can be pushed, resulting in boosting consumption. In this way, business value can be realized.


fig.2 using the cosine of two item of news to identify similarity


I ever read a book by Dr. Jun Wu. The book “The Beauty of Mathematics” mentioned the basic techniques used by Google, including NLP and its effect on search and ads in several chapters. The book introduced the use of cosine theorem and Bayesian network in the classification of news and key words. My knowledge about these aspects are enlightened by this interesting book, so I recommend it to you here.

7 条评论:

  1. 涨姿势了。我得赶快滚去写blogger

    回复删除
    回复
    1. OK, so do you have any suggestions for my first blog, for example your opinions on the value of social media analytics which are different from mine. Thank you!

      删除
  2. you article write very good, in your article, you mentioned NLP, I know Its creators claim a connection between the neurological processes language and behavioral patterns learned through experience and that these can be changed to achieve specific goals in life. You have a very good understanding in your blog, and I also learnt a lot, thanks.

    回复删除
    回复
    1. It's a pleasure to see that you have got something useful from my blog. NLP is an important part of computer science, which can be used not only in Social Media area but also machine learning and recommendation system as a good research direction for us.

      删除
  3. What a useful post! I do believe we can enjoy the courses and get a lot of benefit. In the blog I also find that you also referred to a lot of materials. Thank you for sharing.

    回复删除
  4. Thanks for your recommendation about “The Beauty of Mathematics”, it's a great and useful book which introduce some classical algorithms. These algorithms can be used in social media analytics.

    回复删除
  5. It is a good book, "The Beauty of Mathematics". Thanks. Cosine similarity is a common way to calculate similarity between two vectors and there are some other good algorithms, too

    回复删除